Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chapter 2

“Jarret, I hope you burn in hell,” Katie snipped, just like I knew she would when I told her I thought it would be better for us to go our separate ways.  It wasn’t really going anywhere and I was tired of the paparazzi scene every time I tried going out with the guys.  It seemed like the perfect time to finish things.  We were knocked out in the second round of the playoffs, so my season was done.  I normally spent only a few weeks up in Saskatoon during the summer and the rest of my time in LA, but this year I planned on spending the whole summer up in my hometown.  My grandma had been sick on and off over the season and I wanted to make sure I spent as much time as possible with her before she did pass over to the other side.
She had a rough life over the years.  My grandpa had died when my mom and uncle were still really young.  Instead of complaining about the added burden of being both the head of the house and the mom, she met the challenge head-on.  To this day I still credit her for passing her hardworking attitude onto me.  I always loved her no bullshit attitude and loved her even more for always speaking her mind, even if you didn’t really want to hear it.
“Good luck in everything you do, Katie,” I said calmly as she stomped around my house, gathering up the few things she had here.  “I just didn’t want to lead you on anymore.”
“Oh, stop making yourself the martyr, Jarret.  I’ve seen the pictures of you macking it up with women in every town you’ve stopped at over the last month of two.  So don’t think I was blind,” she spat.  “I’m just glad you think a littler higher of me than you did Rachel and actually had the balls to dump me to my face instead of through an e-mail.”
Ouch.  That was a little low.
I didn’t say a damn word after that, but I did breathe out a sigh of relief when she finally slammed the door behind her.
Summer got here just in time.


“I’m sure you saw my grandson, Jarret play then…” Elsie said as she sat with us, watching the guys dig into the meal she had prepared for us.  Elsie was for lack of better terms the adopted grandmother for the Duck EMS/Rescue Squad.  She had been involved in the auxiliary for over 40 years from what I had been told when I was first hired.  Despite her not being in the best of health over the last few months, she still spoiled us by stopping by the station and bringing us meals.  It was always welcomed, especially since Jack seemed to be the only one of the squad that could cook something that at least didn’t resemble dog food. 
The boys were finally telling her all about Vancouver.  Taylor had gotten his pictures printed out and put them in a photo album to leave at the station.  Elsie of course was eating up all the stories the boys insisted on telling her, even the ones about the girls they picked up at the Roxy.
I always cringed when she talked about her grandson because personally, I hated him.  Hate is probably a strong word for someone you never met, but that was exactly the problem.  He never came to visit Elsie and I’m fairly sure in the 5 years I knew her, he maybe called her 5 times.  Sure, he was good at sending her flowers or other perishable gifts, but I thought it was complete bollox.  If I ever met him, I’m fairly sure I’d punch him in the face.  It did not faze me one bit that he was supposedly some big NHL player, if he couldn’t even make time for a woman like Elsie, then I definitely had no time for him.
 “Yup! Right there he is! Stoll.  That’s my Jarret, too bad you didn’t get a picture of his face, he’s so handsome that one,” she cooed, making me laugh at the adoring grandmother, despite my thoughts of her grandson.  The boys had gone to the Canucks/Kings game, which I didn’t attend because I was just in the mood for some alone time to venture around the city for some sight-seeing and shopping.  After the praises I had gotten on my dress from the guys, I figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up some new pieces of clothing for my wardrobe that was seriously lacking in the girly department.  Now that it was hanging in my closet, I realized it was probably a frivolous purchase and that I absolutely no reason to wear it.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  “That’s what I wanted to tell you guys!  He’s actually going to be spending the summer up here with me,” Elsie rejoiced, pulling me from my thoughts.  “I can’t wait for you all to meet him.  He’s quite the adventurous type, so I’m sure if you need a rock climbing buddy, Lizzie, he will be more than willing to accompany you,” she looked over at me, wiggling her eyebrows at me.
Elsie was always doting on the fact that I needed to find a boyfriend.  She never left it drop and was constantly throwing crazy ideas out to me.
I’ll never forget the day she and I went fishing last summer…
“Lizzie,” which was her nickname for me, “you are 27 years old; you probably should have settled down long ago but here you are still single.”
I sighed as I threw my line back in the water.  “I like being single…” I lied.  Of course she picked up on that fact immediately.
“I see the way you look at Jack.  You definitely don’t like being single.  In fact I don’t think there is a woman in the world that can honestly say she chooses to be single; even the nuns.”
That last part just made me laugh.  “But you are single…”
“I didn’t choose to be single, the good Lord did.”
“Yes, but I know for a fact that you could have remarried and chose not to…” I countered, looking the older woman in the eyes.
“Lizzie, let me tell you something.  When you find that one man who is your true soul mate, there will never be able to replace that when they go away.  True love lasts forever and you can’t just lie to yourself.  I had good companions, like Mr. Red from down the street, but I knew I’d never be able to stand up at the alter and promise myself to him; I already did that once and my heart still belongs to that man even if he doesn’t grace me with his presence here on earth.”
“I don’t think love like that exists anymore,” I mumbled.
“That’s because you haven’t let yourself find that yet.”
“Jack is not my type,” I spat out, totally sounding like a teenage girl who was trying to fluff of a crush in hopes of not being found out.  Unfortunately nothing could get by Elsie.
“Honey, that man could be anyone’s type with a body like that…”
I instantly blushed.  She was totally right.  He was tall and dark, yet at that boyish charm to him that made all the women drool when he walked by.  Jack always claimed he hadn’t settled down with anyone because no one would be able to understand his devotion to his career.  I of course understood it, but I didn’t count because I was his work partner.  I was his best friend and in his eyes he saw me as Liz the only girl who could probably kick his ass.  “Besides, he’s a playboy, remember?  He is constantly dating a different girl each week.  If I find a man, I want him to be all about me,” I mumbled the last part.
“Oh, something tells me that if he had you, he wouldn’t need a different girl each week and he would be all about you.”
“Well you know as well as I do that dating Jack would only amount to trouble at the squad.”
“I understand, but that squad isn’t everything.”
“I’m good at what I do.”
“I never said you should be the one to give it up,” she winked at me before turning back to concentrate on the fish.
“Lizzie!  You look like a movie star in that dress!” Elsie exclaimed, once again pulling me from my thoughts when she got to a picture Taylor had taken of me the night we went to the Roxy.
“I’m still trying to get Rick to change that uniform policy…” Taylor sighed out loud, forcing me to attempt to kick him in the shins.  Unfortunately, Jack took away my fun by doing it himself.  Ever since we had returned from Vancouver, Jack had been acting differently around me.  We had a big blow out right before we came home from Vancouver and several weeks later, I’m still unsure what it was totally about, but I had my ideas.  The main idea being that he had a problem with the one night stand I partook in and still had dreams about.
Now things were just a little strained and whenever one of the guys would make a comment to me about looking hot that weekend or any other sexual remark he was quick to step in and get all defensive.


I was starting to think I was going crazy.  After all the years of keeping my mouth shut and acting as if nothing bothered me was quickly crashing down around me.  I was furious when Liz was late for the lecture due to the fact that she had been too busy in bed with a complete stranger.  The worst part was when she thought it would be okay to talk to me about it.
“He was totally amazing, if only I could find a guy like that,” she swooned as we walked in downtown Vancouver right after the last lecture of the convention.
“He was a complete stranger, Liz.  For all you knew, he might have been a serial killer.  You are fucking lucky he did rape you and put you in the dumpster behind the hotel,” I growled, feeling my temper flare up.
“Since when have you been such the negative person?  I’m fairly sure you’ve been the one who says I need to get out and meet new people…” she shot back.
The only reason I had told her that was because I figured if she found someone, I could move on and maybe realize things weren’t meant to be like that between us.  “I didn’t mean with a total stranger in a strange city…”
“Like you didn’t hook up with the tall blonde you were all flirty with?!” she spat.
“That’s different.”
“Oh why, because you are a guy and can take care of yourself?  Is that the reason?”  She trapped me now.  She was totally right and I knew exactly what argument she was going to use with me.  “Jack, I’m a big girl and could have totally handled myself.”
I knew this, but it still didn’t make the thought any easier.  “Whatever Liz, just never mind, you will never understand…”  I took a few bigger steps to put some space between us but she quickly caught up to me and I stopped as I felt her hand on my elbow.
“What won’t I understand, Jack?” she asked.  When I turned to look, I found her looking up at me with her blue, sincere eyes.  I should have just kissed her that moment, but once again I was chicken shit and just fluffed her off, putting my walls back up before I could make a mistake.  Or the right decision for once.
Ever since Vancouver, work had been like a living hell.  Every time I saw her, my mind would flash back to her in the dress and how beautiful she looked.  Then automatically it would go onto the next picture of her and that pretty boy holding her.


“So I’m looking at donating some money to that ambulance squad of yours,” I said into the phone while I stood out on the golf course in Saskatoon with my buddy Dan.  “I will be using some of the proceeds from my golf tournament that is going on this weekend.  Do you think you will be able to make the trek over here?”
“Oh Jarret, that is so sweet of you,” my grandmother cried excitedly on the other end of the phone.  “I would love to come over; I’ll just need to find a ride…”
“Well, I figured it would be nice to actually have some people from the squad here to present the check to, so maybe you can come along with them?”
“That would be a perfect idea.  I’ll check the schedule and see who is willing to come along,” she said happily.
“They will also be invited to golf…I’ll make sure I put them with some of the hockey guys to show our appreciation,” I said thoughtfully.  I’m sure this would be a big deal for some of these guys, especially if they lived in Kamsack where absolutely nothing really happened.  It was a tiny town that boarded the Duck Mountain Park which was just acres of woods.  It was exactly the type of place I was looking forward to stay at for the summer.  I needed the peace and quiet to relax this summer.  I had grown weary of the LA lifestyle and what would be better than heading to a place that was the exact opposite of LA?
“Oh, I’m sure the boys will be thrilled,” she agreed with my plan.
“I can’t wait to see you Grandma,” I said sincerely, trying to conjure up a picture of what she might look like after all these years.  The last time I saw her was about 8 years ago…
“Same here my Jarret.  I love you and will see you in a few days.  Take care.”


“Really Jack?!” I yelled at the door of Jack’s house.  Bruno, my droopy ear, droopy eyed blood-hound stood on the porch next to me, looking at me like I had lost my mind.  “You can’t even answer your damn door?!  You know, I’m really tired of this shit…” I continued.  “I’m about ready to ask Rick to switch me to another shift or something,” I grumbled.
At this remark, I heard the lock retract and the door slowly creak open.  “Just calm yourself,” Jack said in his quiet tone that he used when I was all worked up about something.  “I was in the shower,” he said, opening the door, revealing to me that he was only in a towel that was wrapped around his waist.
Bruno left himself in as I sucked in a breath.  Jack was built like a lumberjack.  His muscles weren’t made from lifting weights in a gym; instead they were made from the many hours of rock climbing, high-angle rope evolutions and lifting of patients.  His six-pack was defined and I wasn’t quite sure how I forgot about how ripped he really was until I’d see him without his shirt on every once and a while.  His thick, dark hair was always unruly and I’m fairly sure he always had a 5’oclock shadow even right after he finished shaving.  Despite the facial hair, he had that boyish charm about him.  His green eyes always sparkled when he smiled.  Jack was a transplant to Kamsack.  Unlike the majority of us who worked at the squad, he was actually from PEI.  He moved here after college in Saskatoon and hadn’t left since, which I never quite understood because he always seemed too smart for this little town.
“So what shit are you really tired of?” he asked with a raise of an eyebrow.
I huffed and pushed myself past him and into his tiny place.  “Tired of whatever has gone wrong between you and me,” I mumbled.
“Is that why you are here?”
“Yeah.”
“It must really be bothering you because you know we could have talked about this tomorrow when we work together,” he said, sounding amused but I was not here to make a joke about the obvious tension that was getting worse every shift we worked together.
“Do you have something better to do?!” I spit.
“Well, I did have a date scheduled…” he began but before he could go any further I cut him off.
“Fine, go on your stupid ass date and never mind.  I’m going to Rick tomorrow…” I spouted off and turned to walk out the door I had just come through.  I stopped when his arm went around my waist and pulled me back against him so that my back was plastered again him and I could feel the heat and moisture that still laid on him from his shower.
“Instead of cutting me off, would you listen to what I have to say before making hasty decisions?” He commanded me as I felt his deep voice resonate through his body and mine.  The world was becoming quite fuzzy.  “Now,” he said, knowing he had my full attention, yet still holding me against him.  “I did have a date scheduled, but I’d rather stay here and fix things with you because you are right we have some things to talk about it seems.”
“Yes, we do,” I said breathlessly.  “But I think you need to let go of me first…”
“Does this make you uncomfortable?” he asked, sounding as if he was biting back a smile.
“A little,” I admitted.  However I felt uncomfortable because I wanted him this way and I knew I couldn’t have him this way and I knew he didn’t want me this way.  His grip instantly loosened and when I turned, he was already walking back towards his bedroom.  
“Let me get clothing on and I’ll be back out to talk about whatever you want to talk about,” he said, his voice sounding annoyed once more. 
I took a seat on the couch next to Bruno who had already made himself comfortable on it and was cursing myself when Jack’s cell phone began ringing next to me on the little end table.  I peeked at the caller ID, half expecting it to be some girl’s name I didn’t recognize, but instead it was Elsie.
“Hello?” I answered.
“Lizzie, what are you doing answering Jack’s phone?  You two aren’t working extra, are you?”
I laughed, still finding it funny that she knew our all of our work schedules like the back of her hand but yet she was unable to remember her own birthday.  “I just stopped in to visit,” I said, not going into any details.  Luckily she didn’t ask any more questions but instead started in about how Jarret called her and has supposedly offered to donate some money to the squad.
“You are also invited to golf with him and his buddies during the tournament,” she continued happily.
“When is it?” I asked, crossing my fingers that Jack and I were working.
“Saturday.”
“This Saturday?” I frowned.
“I figured you, Jack, Doug and Taylor could all come along and I’d just ride along with one of you guys…”
“Sure,” I said, trying to sound excited.
“Oh, wait til you meet him, Lizzie…” she continued.
“I can’t wait,” I rolled my eyes.
“Me either,” she said happily, obviously not picking up on my non-excitedness.
After saying goodbye, I looked down at the phone and left out a growling noise that Bruno perked his ears at.
“Exactly my thoughts when I come out here to find you yapping on my phone,” Jack said from behind me, looking slightly annoyed and completely clothed.
“It was Elsie.”
“Oh?”
“Sounds like we are going to Saskatoon on Saturday to play a little golf…”

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Loved the scene at the end with Jack. The emotions between these two are frustrating. Are we going to have a love triangle here?