Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chapter 4

Only posting this because Little Miss Rebelheart is on a roll and I don't want to be a slacker...

Soundtrack: Sparks by Coldplay... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar48yzjn1PE

Lovin' the comments! As usual, you are inspiring.


“Do you think fate plays a role in our everyday lives?” I asked, as Jack and I sat out back of the station, eating our dinner on the picnic table.
He looked over at me and raised an eyebrow as he bit into an apple.  “I guess,” he shrugged.
I just nodded my head and went back to concentrating on pushing around some of the tuna that had escaped from my sandwich on my plate with a chip.
“Why?” he asked, dragging out the word as if he wasn’t too sure if he wanted to really know the answer.
I popped the chip in my mouth, chewed it up and swallowed before answering.  “I don’t know, never mind…”
He sat forward and reached over to place his hand on mine.  “Liz, what’s on your mind?”
I looked up at him and already felt myself blushing.  “Jarret is actually the guy I slept with in Vancouver,” I said quietly, expecting some sort of emotion on his handsome face, but to my surprise there was none.  “You aren’t surprised.”
“I figured it out,” he said, removing his hand from mine and turning on the bench like he was going to get up and walk away.  This was exactly why I didn’t really want to talk to him about it; I knew he was still pissed off at me for that night.  However, Jack was my best friend; I talked to him about everything.  I would talk to Elsie about it, but I thought it would be a little awkward to talk to her about those things.  He startled me a bit by leaving out an ironic laugh.  “I mean, hell Liz, it wasn’t that hard to figure out with the way you were acting around him.”
“Oh.”
“So let me guess, you are thinking that maybe it is fate that you two have met up again?” he asked, his voice telling me that the thought tasted like acid as he spoke the words.  In fact, he didn’t even dare look over at me.
I sighed.  “Something like that.”
“With a guy like that, I’m sure you are just another notch in his bed-post, Liz.”
I flinched at the harsh reality of his words.  “That was a little blunt.”
He finally turned and looked at me.  “Well, what do you want me to say?  I’m sure he hasn’t thought of anyone but you since that night?” he asked.  “Women are a dime a dozen to men like him.”
“On the ride home last night, he was really nice.”
“Oh, I’m sure he is.  I can’t imagine him being a cold-hearted ass, especially since he is offspring of Elsie’s, but let’s be realistic here, Liz.  The guy is a professional in the NHL, he’s been engaged to Rod Stewart’s ex-wife and has dated more than his fair share of Hollywood Starlets.  You are Elizabeth Reese, you’ve been an orphan since you were 16 years old, you’re married to your job and you live in the tiny town of Kamsack.  You know damn well he’s just going to see you as an easy lay and be gone at the end of the summer.  I’m sure it’s always every little girl’s dream to marry a prince charming so that you can get out of this place, but I figured you of all people would have a more realistic idea on life…”
“Wow, you make me sound so glamorous.  Glad to finally hear what you truly think about me,” I spit, as tears suddenly sprung to my eyes.  I couldn’t crawl out from the picnic table quick enough to get away from him.
“Liz,” Jack called out, genuinely sounding like he had instantly regretted the words he had spoke, but they were already out and I was too pissed to care at this point.
“Fuck you, Jack.”
“Liz, please.  I didn’t mean to sound so harsh…”
“Oh, don’t worry Jack, I’m sure your charm will work on the next piece of trash you pick-up outside of the town limits,” I yelled back as I made my way through the truck-bays, not quite sure where I was really going to go, but all I knew was that I wanted to be far away from him.  Obviously I wasn’t walking as fast as I thought I was because he surprised me when he grabbed firmly onto my arm, making me stop.
“Liz, stop.  Listen to me.  I was just trying to say how you would look to him, but that is not at all how you look to me,” he began, sounding frustrated.
“Don’t try to smooth this over…”
“I’m not trying to smooth anything over.  Damnit.  I think you’re perfect the way you are.  You’re beautiful, independent, stubborn as hell, but I love your fiery attitude and I wouldn’t want you any other way.  Your hard life is what has given you character.  I’m glad that you’re married to your job because if you weren’t we probably wouldn’t work together as well as we do,” he said sincerely. His large hand was now cupping my chin, as if he was making sure I wouldn’t turn away.
Despite him holding my face, I still couldn’t bring myself to look him in the eyes.  I was still hurt and frankly he ripped out my heart with his original words.
“I’m talking to you and you aren’t even listening to me,” he growled.
“I’m listening.”
“But you don’t believe me.”
“I don’t know.”
I heard him take a deep breath in and let out his air before he dropped his hand, mumbling something about how he wished things were just easier.
“What would make them easier?!” I suddenly yelled as he began walking away.  “Would it be easier if we weren’t partners anymore?  Is that what you want?!” I stomped my foot, literally having a temper tantrum.  “Fucking tell me, Jack, because like I said the other night I will go to Rick and tell him to switch us.”
He stopped, but without turning around he growled.  “Do whatever you want.”
“Fine.”


I wanted to kiss her right then and there.  Scratch that, I wanted to scoop her up and take her into the crew room, lock the door and have my way with her.  I knew I fucked up when I saw the tears come to her eyes.  She literally had me crazy.  I didn’t know how to convey to her how much she really did mean to me, how much I wanted her to be mine but instead I acted like a jealous bastard and now I was basically losing her.  I knew she would go to Rick as soon as she could so that she could get her shift switched and not only would I be losing her as my partner, I would probably lose her friendship.
Way to fuck things up, Jack.
I know I was right when I said those things to her.  There is no way in hell Jarret would appreciate her for who she was.  Plus, it was fairly sure he wouldn’t give her a second thought after he fucked her all summer and left for LA, and that’s if Elsie’s little plan half-worked.
Saying the right words to a woman was never my claim to fame.  I was always blunt and to the point.  Usually Liz was able to handle that, but obviously this subject was a little touchier than the rest.  I’m sure it had something to do with the fact that things had been so strained between us as of late, but still, I was still kind of surprised when I saw the tears.
Ugh, women crying.  Definitely not something I can handle; especially after seeing my mom cry after my dad would beat her.
I felt like shit for the rest of the shift.  I felt like I had been just as bad as my dad was to my mom.  I didn’t physically abuse Liz, but it was obvious I hurt her tremendously.  Not surprisingly, Liz talked to me during the 2 ambulance calls we ran.  I expected her to talk because she was professional, but the ride home from the hospital was a silent one and you could cut the tension with a sharp knife and still probably not make it a clean cut.
If was going to fix things, I better get my act together and quick, before I lost her all together.


“Do you want to come over for dinner?” Elsie asked as I was getting back from my walk with Bruno a couple days after Jarret had arrived.  It was a nice warm, sunny afternoon and I felt like I needed to be out in it.  The way Bruno’s tongue was hanging from his mouth, led me to believe he didn’t agree with me.
“Um…you just have a nice dinner with Jarret,” I said, hoping that would get me out of it, but I knew deep down it wasn’t going to work.
“He’s here all summer and I’m sure there will be enough evenings to spend by ourselves,” Elsie said pleasantly into the phone with an undertone that said, “Get your ass over here.”
“What time?” I asked, not even bothering to argue.
“Is an hour too soon for you to get all pretty?”
“I’ll see you in an hour,” I rolled my eyes.
“Why don’t you wear one of those new outfits you were telling me you bought in Vancouver?” she asked in her “I may sound innocent, but I really ain’t” tone.
“But…”
Good, see you then my dear,” she quickly whispered into the phone, making me wonder if there was something going on.
An hour later I was walking into Elsie’s house to find candles and a fancy table cloth on the table.


“Elsie, what is this all about?” I heard Beth ask, sounding slightly annoyed just on the other side of the bathroom door.  I was surprised to hear her voice because Grandma didn’t say one word about her coming over.  I felt my pulse quicken just a little knowing she was in the house.
Sure, I had dated famous women, even engaged to one, but there was something about Beth that totally got me.  Maybe it was that beautiful copper hair, her sparkling blue eyes, the fiery attitude she used against me yesterday, the way she cared about my Grandma, or just for the simple fact that she seemed completely clueless to how beautiful she was.  Either one way, I was definitely keen on spending some more alone time with her this summer.
I still had a smile on my face when I walked out of the bathroom to find the dinning room dimly lit by candles and only two place settings.  Now I understood what Beth was asking about.  “Grandma, I think you forgot another place setting…”
“Oh no dears, I’m actually heading off to bingo at church.  I ate earlier,” she smiled broadly before grabbing her cane and bag.
“But…” Beth began to protest but after a look from Grandma, she instantly shut her mouth.  At that we heard someone beep the horn out front.
“Oh! There’s Viola!  I’ll see you kids later, enjoy the dinner…it’s in the oven all ready for you.”
“Thanks,” Beth and I both said at the same time as we watched the elderly lady walk outside and shut the door behind her.
“Did you have something to do with this?” Beth instantly turned and hissed at me.
I just held up my hands and shook my head.  “No, I swear.”
“I’m just going to go home,” she said, beginning to take some steps closer to the door.  She looked adorable in a light yellow patterned cotton sun-dress and flip-flops.  Her hair was pulled off her neck in a simple ponytail and she just had a trace of make-up on.
“I’m not eating all that baked ziti by myself,” I suddenly piped up.
“You’re a big boy.”
“Why thank you,” I laughed.  Her eyes got big and then she blushed.  “Oh come on Beth, I highly doubt you are shy around the guys at the Rescue Squad, so don’t start being around me.  Besides, you weren’t shy the first time we met.”
“I had lots of alcohol in me,” she said, leaning her hand on the door knob.
“Please, stay.  I’d feel bad if you went home without any dinner, besides, I haven’t seen you since I got here and I wouldn’t mind having some company closer to my age.”
I watched with baited breath as she thought about it for a moment and then nodded her head, taking a step away from the door.  Soon we were drinking some kind of homemade wine I found in Grandma’s wine rack and laughing at how much ziti we had stuffed ourselves with.  Once she had relaxed, she talked non-stop about stories of calls she had been on and stories about my Grandma acting like her crazy self.  I couldn’t help but find myself mesmerized by her easy laughter and smile.
“I’m going to need to go for another walk,” Beth exclaimed as she sat back and patted her stomach.
“That sounds like a good idea!  I said, wanting any excuse to spend more time with her. 
“Well, let’s get this cleaned up and we can go for one if you want,” she said easily, not even seeming to second guess the suggestion.
Soon I was standing next to her, washing dishes in the tiny kitchen where I had to duck in certain places so that I wouldn’t hit my head.
“Does it get old being that tall?” she asked as she watched me put a wine glass away on the top shelf of the cabinet; she wouldn’t have been able to reach it without help.
I laughed as I looked down at her and shook my head.  “My height helps in hockey and in everyday life, so no, I don’t think so.  How about being short?”
“I hate it,” she frowned.  “I feel like it limits me out in the field and I always get put in places that no one else can fit into; usually they aren’t the most pleasant places.  This one time I had to climb into this mini-cave and ended up getting pooped on by the bats that happened to be living in there.  It was disgusting!”
“Did you find a person in there?”
“Yeah, it was a scared little boy, so I guess it worked out, but still,” she said, scrunching her nose.
“I think your height fits you perfectly,” I remarked sincerely.  It did fit her.  She was spunky, tough and I was enjoying the fact that she would fit perfectly against my side.  I looked back over at her as she rolled her eyes at me while taking a hand-full of soap suds and blowing them up at me.  Soon a soap-suds battle was in full swing with the two of us laughing hysterically and Beth squeaking when I placed a handful on top of her head.
“Not fair!” she ran away from me, making me chase her out into the living room.
“How is it not fair?!” I cried back.
She stopped for a moment to catch her breath and looked at me with a serious look.  “I’m not quite sure actually.  It just sounded good.”
I bust up laughing as I reached out and grabbed her, swiftly pulling her against me.  Without even thinking I leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips, allowing her to protest if she wanted, but she didn’t and I deepened the kiss.  The alarm bells were going off in my head as I drank from her, announcing that she tasted like the cool clean water I had been searching for over the years.  I shivered when I felt her hands slide up and under my t-shirt so that her wet hands were touching my skin.  She giggled at me, but didn’t leave my lips.  Soon I was backing her up so that I could lay her down on the couch. 


Don’t ask me what I was thinking by kissing him back and running my fingertips over those familiar abdominal muscles, because obviously I wasn’t thinking.  He made my mind ripple like still water that had been disturbed by a pebble thrown into it.  His kisses were not demanding like they had been in Vancouver, these were more tender, more searching.
Sure, Jay and I had already slept together, but this was a totally different situation in my eyes.  This time we had time to get to know each other and by my normal standards, I didn’t know much about him.  As much as I tried to push them out of my head, Jack’s words echoed through my head.  I was going to be the summer fling; the easy lay since I had already gave myself to him.  That is not at all what I wanted.  I didn’t need a boyfriend to be happy because I already found that life was still fulfilling without a man, however if I was going to have anything, then I wanted a real relationship and not just some fling that would be cast away when I wasn’t convenient anymore.  “Jay,” I breathed, putting a flat palm against his hard chest just as he was bench pressing himself down over top of me on the couch.  “Please…”
He stopped moving towards me and looked at me with eyes that told me he was all for continuing things but also worried at my reaction.  “Something wrong?”
I took a little breath and pushed my hand on his chest a little more so that he would give me back some space because the heat of his body and smell of his skin was clouding up my mind.  “I can’t do this, Jarret,” I said, saying his full name so that he would hopefully get the hint that I was being serious.  “What we shared in Vancouver was amazing, but…Well, to be honest, I refuse to be a fling of yours.”
He was standing up at this point and I felt a little strange laying on my back on the couch in a vulnerable position, so I quickly sat up and smoothed out the skirt of my dress, avoiding his gaze.  I was kind of surprised that he didn’t automatically come up with some sort of sentence meant to reassure me that I wouldn’t be that.  Instead he scared me by reaching out and gently grabbing my hand.  When I looked up at him he had a friendly smile on his face as he said, “I think that walk sounds like a perfect idea right now.”
I cocked my head in surprise, unable to hide my own smile.
“Beth, I might be Mr. LA during the season, but I promise you, I have not lost my values.  I like to think of myself as a pretty stand-up guy who wouldn’t pressure anyone into something they were not comfortable with.  For one, Grandma would have my ass.”
“Have you taken acting lessons while living in LA?”
He looked at me confused as he slowly said, “No, why?”
“Because I’m pretty sure that sounded too perfect for any guy to say,” I laughed.
“Well, then I guess it goes to show we have a lot to learn about each other because I swear, I’m genuine and true to my words.”
“We shall see then,” I giggled, walking over to the door and opening it dramatically.  “Shall we?”  We both laughed as he came up to my side, offered me his arm.  Once my arm was locked in his, we began our walk in the warm Saskatchewan summer night.


I kind of felt like a piece of shit when she came out with not wanting to be a summer fling.  The sincerity in her eyes told me she was being completely honest with me and I completely respected her for that.  To be honest I wasn’t really thinking past what was quickly becoming a hot make-out session on the couch and that’s because I was thinking with the head that made it the beginning of our walk slightly uncomfortable.  “So have you lived here all your life?” I asked as we rounded the block to walk down Main St. of the tiny town.
“You don’t need to feel the need to ask me more about myself, I’m sure it would be boring to you anyway,” she looked over at me with a small, shy smile on her face.
“But I really am interested in learning more about you,” I countered.  “Believe me when I say that I wanted to ask you so many questions while we ate room-service that night, but I didn’t because I just didn’t feel like either of us was 100% keen on divulging much information except for what felt good when we touched each other.”
She blushed as she laughed out loud.  “Are we ever going to be able to forget that?”
“I don’t want to,” I said sincerely.
“You’re way too truthful for a professional sports guy who makes more money in a year than I will probably ever make in a lifetime.”
“That might be true, but it doesn’t make me a pompous ass who feels the need to lie and not speak straight.”
“I’m sorry; I guess I’m still thinking about how much I’ve hated you over the years for not visiting Elsie.  I had conjured up this ugly picture of you and to be honest, it’s hard to think of you as a nice guy…”
“Well, I guess I have all summer to make you conjure up a picture of me being the hottest thing ever,” I proclaimed, puffing out my chest a little before Beth reached over and swatted at me, shaking her head.
“No, I’m pretty sure I’m just going to picture you as being pathetic.”
“Well if that’s the case, I’m going to just keep picturing you naked, underneath me.”
“You’re really pushing your limit…” she growled, now blushing profusely.
I threw my hands up in the air and laughed, “I just call it as I see it.”
“And I’m calling you out for still flirting with me,” she playfully complained.
“You said you didn’t want a fling, but you didn’t say anything about not being allowed to flirt with you.”
She looked over at me, bit her lip and looked forward again.  “This is totally all Elsie’s fault.”

3 comments:

MelTing said...

This is so exciting. Both guys are really nice at this point, Jack because he is too awkward to say the right thing and Jay because he is saying all the right things.

I like Liz's bat cave experiences, and her confidence in insisting that she's worth more than a fling. Because even if it hurt, Jack told the truth.

Mimi said...

Jack needs to grow a pair and tell her how he feels. Acting like a jealous jerk will get him nowhere.

Jarrett surprised me with his reaction her not wanting to be just a fling. I think he could be seriously into her.

I Love Canadian Boys said...

Love itt! Love Jarett. He seems soooo sweet :)
I really do hope that she isn't gonna turn out to be a fling but we'll see i guess :)
Can't wait for the next onee!